Skip to main content

Today was awful. Awful people!

It started out simple enough.
It's Saturday morning, which means soccer games and catching up on laundry, or at least restarting the dryer to take it out later.
I wake up, see a chance to earn brownie points with the hubs and let him sleep in AND bring him breakfast in bed.Yeah, I'm cool like that! I let the dog out and get the younger boys up and make breakfast. Corbin (the oldest) had a sleepover at a friends, so I pick him up at 9:30, generously thank the amazing hostess for taking on my son and 4 others overnight--boy is she brave! I forgot to pack his game day uniform so he gets dressed in the car and we head over to the field. Corbin, Lincoln (the baby) and I arrive to find our field being used as a practice space for 3 other teams. I use my calm voice and get them to clear out. Meanwhile my husband is across town coaching Orion's game. I proceed to watch, blah blah blah....The day and its usual stresses happen. It averages out to 3 soccer games, 5 meltdowns by Orion (the middle), 2 soccer injuries to the face (both Corbin), 2 stern talks about hitting brothers, lunch, snacks because no one ate their lunch, getting a run in, super short nap, working on the car, cleaning the house, dinner. And then that's it, That's when it happens.
It starts to get darker outside...The monsters are coming out.
I planned just right to be getting in the shower while the boys play video games and the hubs watches his beloved Michigan State game. But something happens. Someone miss-stepped. The stars did not align.
The bigs are screaming. Someone is crying. Dinner goes uneaten. Scott gets a phone call that keeps him from the game and from hearing the chaos going down.
I separate the video-playing big boys and figure out no one has eaten. Then amidst me serving dinner, Orion (whose belly hurts) gets in the tub and Lincoln is hitting his naked butt, which of course causes more hitting and crying. The basket of bath toys gets dumped so it's like dodging land-mines and a giant cup (we all have that cup) to wash hair gets filled up (I'm guessing at least twice) and dumped all over the floor. Butts are spanked but this time by me. And Lincoln is off throwing a fit. Little did I know he was also taking off all his clothes AND DIRTY DIAPER! The dog finds it, shreds it, and gives me another dirty job to do.
I swap one kid for another in the bath. Try not to cry. Mop the floor with a towel and pick up the land mines. More fighting has erupted and Scott is shouting about credit card fraud. I turn a corner to find the diaper mess along with dirty clothes, food dragged out of the pantry and left behind and other random nonsense that every mother picks up without really seeing.
I get all the boys set up in my bed with popcorn (Screw it, I'll change the sheets later.) and walk into the kitchen for a drink. I grabbed the wine bottle and corkscrew the same moment the cat hops up on the table her food sits on (the dog eats it otherwise) and she bumps the bowl, it goes flying. Cat food is everywhere.
I tell Scott, "Really?! I tag out. This is all you." and he resists. All I had to do was pull out that breakfast in bed/sleeping in business from earlier. Boom ladies. That's how it's done.

Comments

  1. Yes we all have 'that' cup and the best part was 'the monsters are coming'. loved this!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single mom (for the week) update

Tuesday: So this morning I woke up with a little bit of food poisoning from last night. My printer would not print off my assignments that I stayed up until 1am doing....but a quick stop at OfficeMax and it all worked out.  Had a really good day at school, gave a speech and presentation like a boss. Then the boys came home and we decided to do Halloween decorations on the front porch. That's when it started going downhill. The garage door wouldn't shut and I had a mini meltdown...yes, I called my husband and cried while he talked me through it. Pity party for myself. Wednesday:  It was mostly without incident.... Except for when Lincoln decided to eat dog food and flood the bathroom. Oh, and the boys had dentist appointments. Odie was all numb and bit the side of his lip and cheek so much, it is just raw! Also, I ran with scissors and cut my arm.  I'm so blonde sometimes. We also did FaceTime with Scott tonight, (which we do every night) except tonight all the boys started

Mom Quotes part one

Things you shouldn't have to say to your sons: Hunny, don't spin the knife around! Put down the poop!  Stop touching the puppy's wiener!  Keep the ninja stars out of the refrigerator. No pooping on the dining room table! Get the goldfish out between your toes. Don't throat punch your brother.  Keep your hands off the (public) bathroom floor! I didn't buy cubed cheese so you could stuff in R2-D2's leg! Stop "choking with the Force"! Stop being a robot and eat your dinner! Get your hands out of your pants! Get your hands out of your brothers pants! ! Get your hands out of your butt!  Seriously, stop touching your butt! Don't wipe your hands on the dog. Get your Bat-A-Rang off the table.

Corbin the shark boy

"Sharks have two penises"—Corbin (age 5) This was one of the first facts my son knew about sharks, and blurted out to random strangers. No joke, he used to get in trouble at school for making "shark noises". Really he was just humming the theme to Jaws. This is in kindergarten we're talking about. There was a little girl who went home from school telling her mom that there was a real live shark boy in her classroom.  She was serious!  And so his obsession began along with calling himself Great White Corbin. I can't make this stuff up if I tried. It all began after we saw shark week that summer, right before kindergarten, when he was five years old...And his little brain was ready to soak up some knowledge. Well he loved it of course! He wanted to know everything there was to know about sharks and he thought he could become one when he grew up (hence the title Great White Corbin). We started collecting more rubber toy sharks then we had Hot wheels. We bought