Skip to main content

Mom Fail

Today I swept and mopped my floors just because I felt like if I were a good mom they would be cleaner. 

Last week I forgot to make my son a lunch for a field trip that required a sack lunch.

Just yesterday, after my attempt at being helpful and taking food to a friend, my kids were literally playing in a street and were almost hit by a truck. Yikes!


When you compare yourself to the mom with the cute Sperrys and the perfectly planned outfit, the one with the newest Michael Kors bag that has absolutely no toddler stains on it or a diaper within it. When you lack professional pictures of your happy family for every season.
The judgment you feel is your own. It can tear you apart inside and has a power over you like nothing else. This mom thing is crazy tough! But you're doing it. You are. 

We don't have to be perfect people because we are loved by a perfect God and he loves our mess.



He will love you no matter who you are, what you do, or where you go. He loves you even if/when you fail, when you give up, when you try with no results. 

When you're beating yourself up, and think you're not cut out for this. When you feel like you are not enough...

Know you're worth!
Know that He did not make a mistake by giving your kiddos the momma they have.
He'll take care of you so you can take care of it all. 

And remember to ask for help! So my best friends know that they are because I ask them to help me make my bed, watch my kids, or peel potatoes with me. 
Sometimes it really does take a village.


I have been a mom for 10 years. In no way am I an expert on what to do. I'm more like the poster child on what not to do. Over the years it has taken me a long time to realize that I don't have to be perfect. My kids definitely aren't. And I'm sure my husband makes me to be sometimes. It's really hard not to stress over the little stuff. 
But it's OK to do things the totally wrong and off-beat way... And I'm finding more and more that I'm in good company.
I mean, I'm not alone and in letting my child eat brownies for breakfast, or forgetting to pack a sack lunch for their field trip, or signing the homework folders, and not showing up to awards....
I'm not the only one who's forgot my child at home and thought they were totally in the backseat. And I'm sure everybody has taken a kid who claimed he was "sick"out in public to find out that he really was sick as he puked all over a stranger. 
Now before your jaw totally hits the floor, think of your own mistakes. Think of how big they are to you. Who is your worst critic? It's ourselves . It's always ourselves. 
We have this invisible bar that we just can't quite live up to.
But what we need to understand is that there's no standards. This is your journey... This is your mom journey to make your own. Looking back 10 more years from now I'm going to ask myself "did I do it right?" But I think back on all the wonderful times I've had with my crazy crew and know that I did it our way. This is how we roll and God loves me no matter what.
I will forever be a work in progress and I have to be patient because He's not finished with me yet.

So this Mother's Day I urge you to not be the perfect mom of the perfect children on the most perfect Sunday. Come on folks...That's going to happen for about 20 minutes. And then butts will need wiped, fights will need a referee, and husbands will need help before they catch that kitchen on fire.


Good luck ladies and enjoy your journey.

Comments

  1. Well said!! You are a wonderful mom. Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally my life, and not surprising at all, since we are family and we are crazy perfect in the way we need to be for us! Happy Mother's Day sis, I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single mom (for the week) update

Tuesday: So this morning I woke up with a little bit of food poisoning from last night. My printer would not print off my assignments that I stayed up until 1am doing....but a quick stop at OfficeMax and it all worked out.  Had a really good day at school, gave a speech and presentation like a boss. Then the boys came home and we decided to do Halloween decorations on the front porch. That's when it started going downhill. The garage door wouldn't shut and I had a mini meltdown...yes, I called my husband and cried while he talked me through it. Pity party for myself. Wednesday:  It was mostly without incident.... Except for when Lincoln decided to eat dog food and flood the bathroom. Oh, and the boys had dentist appointments. Odie was all numb and bit the side of his lip and cheek so much, it is just raw! Also, I ran with scissors and cut my arm.  I'm so blonde sometimes. We also did FaceTime with Scott tonight, (which we do every night) except tonight all the boys started

Mom Quotes part one

Things you shouldn't have to say to your sons: Hunny, don't spin the knife around! Put down the poop!  Stop touching the puppy's wiener!  Keep the ninja stars out of the refrigerator. No pooping on the dining room table! Get the goldfish out between your toes. Don't throat punch your brother.  Keep your hands off the (public) bathroom floor! I didn't buy cubed cheese so you could stuff in R2-D2's leg! Stop "choking with the Force"! Stop being a robot and eat your dinner! Get your hands out of your pants! Get your hands out of your brothers pants! ! Get your hands out of your butt!  Seriously, stop touching your butt! Don't wipe your hands on the dog. Get your Bat-A-Rang off the table.

Corbin the shark boy

"Sharks have two penises"—Corbin (age 5) This was one of the first facts my son knew about sharks, and blurted out to random strangers. No joke, he used to get in trouble at school for making "shark noises". Really he was just humming the theme to Jaws. This is in kindergarten we're talking about. There was a little girl who went home from school telling her mom that there was a real live shark boy in her classroom.  She was serious!  And so his obsession began along with calling himself Great White Corbin. I can't make this stuff up if I tried. It all began after we saw shark week that summer, right before kindergarten, when he was five years old...And his little brain was ready to soak up some knowledge. Well he loved it of course! He wanted to know everything there was to know about sharks and he thought he could become one when he grew up (hence the title Great White Corbin). We started collecting more rubber toy sharks then we had Hot wheels. We bought