Skip to main content

Beware of the vomiting toddler!

It started out innocently enough, Orion had a cough. The cough continued and remained in him until he was gagging on it. He decide to start spitting it up and then came the screams from the bathroom saying "oh my god! Mom, there's green stuff everywhere! what is this coming out of me!" 
Then I caught something for exactly 12 hours that had me laid out. Normally I would not be upset to have to lay around but then you also have to do the mom thing and get to feel like crap...Which is just awful and it's own brand of punishment. 
So then, just last night, Lincoln comes into our room covered head to toe in some yellow-nasty-chunky-sickness. And wants to crawl up in my bed to snuggle. I don't think so! Number three is the worst because he has no idea why this is coming out of his tiny body or where it should go to. So it usually ends up hitting me in the face. Cut to 3 bed sheet changes and four pairs of pajamas later (not including my own), he finally calmed down long enough to fall asleep and we made it through that stinky morning. 
What is it about little kids? They have to share their germs and their mucus and their vomit with anyone standing within a 12 inch radius of them?! It's like they have this special code built inside of them to just show it off...literally show it off. Let's see what they're made of...Yuck!
 If you're like me and find yourself in these dark times, here are some helpful tips to make them slightly easier:
First of all, flu shots people! That's you're very first step. Also it doesn't hurt to give them a little extra vitamin C tablet. Don't take my word on it though, ask your doctor.
Secondly, I want to suggest to everyone not to buy the expensive Pottery Barn sheets for your children. You can find some really cute stuff at Walmart or target so don't invest in what might get thrown up and/or peed on. Also, because these are cheap sheets consider just throwing them out and buy new ones the next day. Unless of course your child happens to be attached to their shark pillow or their batman blanket otherwise, you scrub that crap until it fades!
Thirdly, find yourself a waterproof barrier (and this comes in handy in the next step). 
Next step, involves layering. Put a sheet set down for your child, a waterproof pad, and later that with a second sheet set and then a comforter. This way if they make it through the first stack the bed has already been made. In the middle of the chaos you will only need to peel off that first nasty layer (plus the waterproof barrier) and there you go! Clean up that other stuff in the morning and just get some rest.
Also I would like to suggest having a puke bucket. We have one at our house and everyone is aware of it. That's the only thing it's used for and it stays in the garage until needed.
My last and final tip is to barricade the puker. Everyone knows it can always get worse...you could have two! That's it, it's not brain surgery it's just simple know-how and practice. I've dealt with a lot worse than this week but I don't want to scare you with those stories. Instead here's a picture. 

Which brings me to my next point, if your child says he doesn't feel good, listen! You don't want to know what happens if you don't. They're not always faking. Good luck and happy flu season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom Fail

Today I swept and mopped my floors just because I felt like if I were a good mom they would be cleaner.  Last week I forgot to make my son a lunch for a field trip that required a sack lunch. Just yesterday, after my attempt at being helpful and taking food to a friend, my kids were literally playing in a street and were almost hit by a truck. Yikes! When you compare yourself to the mom with the cute Sperrys and the perfectly planned outfit, the one with the newest Michael Kors bag that has absolutely no toddler stains on it or a diaper within it. When you lack professional pictures of your happy family for every season. The judgment you feel is your own. It can tear you apart inside and has a power over you like nothing else. This mom thing is crazy tough! But you're doing it. You are.  We don't have to be perfect people because we are loved by a perfect God and he loves our mess. He will love you no matter who you are, what you do, or...

LINCOLN DANGER WERLING

Not all boys are as disgusting as you think...But mine is worse! No, really, there should be a new description of nasty in the dictionary with the picture of my third child!  Not only does he play in the trash, eats things off the floor, stick stuff in the toilet and then back out again, but he is fascinated with Poo!!!  It is unreal the amount of poop this child has come in contact with over the short span of his two-year life. No, not just his. Although, that is his favorite. I know what you're thinking. What is wrong with her? Why doesn't she keep a closer eye on her child? It's because this kid has to have been some sort of stealthy ninja in a previous life! Literally, I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth or apply a little bit of make up and I come out and it's like I've entered a tipped over Port-O-potty disguised as my living room. I believe we've touched base about how he likes to be naked, and stick his hands in his pants. Is there a doctor I can talk ...

IT GETS GROSS

I know it's been a while since my last post. And I was actually starting to doubt myself and think I couldn't do this. I mean what if I run out of material? This was literally just running through my mind and then I glanced at the toilet paper roll and saw the most disgusting thing in the world! And then it hit me, I'm never going to run out of material these boys are disgusting. So just a warning, this one's going to be nasty. A while back, my youngest Lincoln was going through a phase. Probably the same phase most crazy toddlers go through. Naked time. He would usually strip down to nothing but socks and then want to stay that way for the remainder of the day. Needless to say this left lots of little "messes" for me to clean up. One in particular I will never forget. It was a quiet afternoon at home and the big boys were doing homework while I was using the restroom...Or possibly trying to save my sanity by locking myself in a tiny little room w...