Skip to main content

Beware of the vomiting toddler!

It started out innocently enough, Orion had a cough. The cough continued and remained in him until he was gagging on it. He decide to start spitting it up and then came the screams from the bathroom saying "oh my god! Mom, there's green stuff everywhere! what is this coming out of me!" 
Then I caught something for exactly 12 hours that had me laid out. Normally I would not be upset to have to lay around but then you also have to do the mom thing and get to feel like crap...Which is just awful and it's own brand of punishment. 
So then, just last night, Lincoln comes into our room covered head to toe in some yellow-nasty-chunky-sickness. And wants to crawl up in my bed to snuggle. I don't think so! Number three is the worst because he has no idea why this is coming out of his tiny body or where it should go to. So it usually ends up hitting me in the face. Cut to 3 bed sheet changes and four pairs of pajamas later (not including my own), he finally calmed down long enough to fall asleep and we made it through that stinky morning. 
What is it about little kids? They have to share their germs and their mucus and their vomit with anyone standing within a 12 inch radius of them?! It's like they have this special code built inside of them to just show it off...literally show it off. Let's see what they're made of...Yuck!
 If you're like me and find yourself in these dark times, here are some helpful tips to make them slightly easier:
First of all, flu shots people! That's you're very first step. Also it doesn't hurt to give them a little extra vitamin C tablet. Don't take my word on it though, ask your doctor.
Secondly, I want to suggest to everyone not to buy the expensive Pottery Barn sheets for your children. You can find some really cute stuff at Walmart or target so don't invest in what might get thrown up and/or peed on. Also, because these are cheap sheets consider just throwing them out and buy new ones the next day. Unless of course your child happens to be attached to their shark pillow or their batman blanket otherwise, you scrub that crap until it fades!
Thirdly, find yourself a waterproof barrier (and this comes in handy in the next step). 
Next step, involves layering. Put a sheet set down for your child, a waterproof pad, and later that with a second sheet set and then a comforter. This way if they make it through the first stack the bed has already been made. In the middle of the chaos you will only need to peel off that first nasty layer (plus the waterproof barrier) and there you go! Clean up that other stuff in the morning and just get some rest.
Also I would like to suggest having a puke bucket. We have one at our house and everyone is aware of it. That's the only thing it's used for and it stays in the garage until needed.
My last and final tip is to barricade the puker. Everyone knows it can always get worse...you could have two! That's it, it's not brain surgery it's just simple know-how and practice. I've dealt with a lot worse than this week but I don't want to scare you with those stories. Instead here's a picture. 

Which brings me to my next point, if your child says he doesn't feel good, listen! You don't want to know what happens if you don't. They're not always faking. Good luck and happy flu season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Single mom (for the week) update

Tuesday: So this morning I woke up with a little bit of food poisoning from last night. My printer would not print off my assignments that I stayed up until 1am doing....but a quick stop at OfficeMax and it all worked out.  Had a really good day at school, gave a speech and presentation like a boss. Then the boys came home and we decided to do Halloween decorations on the front porch. That's when it started going downhill. The garage door wouldn't shut and I had a mini meltdown...yes, I called my husband and cried while he talked me through it. Pity party for myself. Wednesday:  It was mostly without incident.... Except for when Lincoln decided to eat dog food and flood the bathroom. Oh, and the boys had dentist appointments. Odie was all numb and bit the side of his lip and cheek so much, it is just raw! Also, I ran with scissors and cut my arm.  I'm so blonde sometimes. We also did FaceTime with Scott tonight, (which we do every night) except tonight all the boys started

Mom Quotes part one

Things you shouldn't have to say to your sons: Hunny, don't spin the knife around! Put down the poop!  Stop touching the puppy's wiener!  Keep the ninja stars out of the refrigerator. No pooping on the dining room table! Get the goldfish out between your toes. Don't throat punch your brother.  Keep your hands off the (public) bathroom floor! I didn't buy cubed cheese so you could stuff in R2-D2's leg! Stop "choking with the Force"! Stop being a robot and eat your dinner! Get your hands out of your pants! Get your hands out of your brothers pants! ! Get your hands out of your butt!  Seriously, stop touching your butt! Don't wipe your hands on the dog. Get your Bat-A-Rang off the table.

Corbin the shark boy

"Sharks have two penises"—Corbin (age 5) This was one of the first facts my son knew about sharks, and blurted out to random strangers. No joke, he used to get in trouble at school for making "shark noises". Really he was just humming the theme to Jaws. This is in kindergarten we're talking about. There was a little girl who went home from school telling her mom that there was a real live shark boy in her classroom.  She was serious!  And so his obsession began along with calling himself Great White Corbin. I can't make this stuff up if I tried. It all began after we saw shark week that summer, right before kindergarten, when he was five years old...And his little brain was ready to soak up some knowledge. Well he loved it of course! He wanted to know everything there was to know about sharks and he thought he could become one when he grew up (hence the title Great White Corbin). We started collecting more rubber toy sharks then we had Hot wheels. We bought